Feature Image Credits: Firstpost Website
The 13th President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee was born on December 11, 1935 and hails from Mirati village in Birbhum district, West Bengal. Shri Mukherjee became the President in July 2012 prior to which he was the Union Finance Minister (2009-2012). Crowning a political career of around six decades, he was a senior leader of the Indian National Congress and had several ministerial portfolios in the Government of India. On his 80th birthday, we bring you some interesting facts about the Indian President.
So, here’s a list of interesting facts about the Indian President few of which you might be familiar with but few may be unknown. Let’s find out.
- We all are quite familiar with the political career of Shri Mukherjee, but before taking getting into politics, he was once a professor and also a journalist. In 1963, he was a Political Science Professor at the Vidyanagar College in Calcutta (now Kolkata). Later he also worked as a Journalist with the Desher Dak (Call of Motherland) and was an upper-division Clerk in the office of the Deputy Accountant-General of Post and Telegraph in Calcutta (now Kolkata).
- A very interesting fact about the Indian President is that he is said to be one of the most versatile Ministers of India to have handled three major Ministries- Defence, External Affairs and Finance.Pranab Mukherjee(left) with PV Narasimha Rao(centre) and Indira Gandhi(right) (Credits: India Today Website)
- Shri Mukherjee was introduced to politics in 1969 by the then Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi who recognised his talents and guided him to become a member of the Rajya Sabha.
- Shri Mukherjee quit the Indian National Congress after the demise of Indira Gandhi and formed his own political party known as the Rashtriya Samajwadi Party.
- President Mukherjee is the only Finance Minister who has presented budgets since pre-liberalisation till post liberalisation era. He has presented seven budgets. In 1984, Euromoney magazine rated him as one of the best Finance Minister of the world.
- Nicknamed as ‘Poltu’, the Indian President is an early riser who loves walking; he takes 40 rounds of his lawn everyday. His favourite dishes are fish curry and posto (Bengali name for poppy seeds).President Pranab Mukherjee (Credits: Wikipedia)
- Another very interesting fact about the Indian President is that according to his daughter, Sharmistha Mukherjee he is a compulsive workaholic who works nearly eighteen hours a day.
- It is said that the Indian President has been writing a diary for the past forty years jotting everything he has seen and experienced in life that will be published posthumously.
Latest posts by Pallavi Sinha (see all)
- 8 Schemes Launched by Modi Government in 2015 - January 15, 2016
- Famous People Born in January - January 6, 2016
- The 12 Months of a Year and Origin of their names! - December 30, 2015